Mushrooms! Mushrooms! Get your Festive Mushrooms!
Ever heard the terms 'festive' and 'mushroom' in the same sentence? Me either.
These mushrooms seem to require that name however. They are about as festive as a mushroom gets! And super edible according to my Tiny Testers.
These Festive Shrooms can be put in the refrigerator for a short period of time...no longer than 30 minutes or so. Just remember they will turn brown if left uneaten for too long. They are intended to be made and eaten within a short period of time.
Let's get started!
*3 Large apples
1. Cut the nuts. Use the cashews for the red mushrooms. Dice them into small pieces. Use the almonds for the dots. Slice them into about 5 parts resembling dots. Slice the pecans along the ridges. Use them for the green mushrooms lines.
2. Peel and slice the apples. You can really only use the inner portion of the apple, closest to the core. Eat the rest! You will get about 4 slices per apple. They should be about 1 cm thick. If you choose to use a smaller cookie cutter, you will produce many more mushrooms from one apple.
3. Use cookie cutter to cut out mushroom shape. The cutter we used was quite large. You need to position it in a manner to get a bit of stem with your cap. You may need to squeeze the cutter a bit at the top to make it work. Or you could use a smaller size like this. We liked the overall size of these mushrooms though.
3. Melt the candy per manufacturer's instructions.
4. Hold the mushroom by the stem and dip the round part, rotating from side to side.
5. Place mushroom on the cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
6. Apply the nuts as desired.
7. Place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes. *Do not leave in the refrigerator for too long as the apple will become quite brown.