There is just something about dehydrated fruit. It's simultaneously nostalgic and fresh. It hearkens back to days of old when people would decorate the Christmas tree in dried oranges and various berries. The colors of these dried fruits must have popped against the green of the Christmas tree and been a vibrant reminder of the warmth and sweetness of summer. It only makes sense to preserve these beautiful fruits for decoration!
This project is a great opportunity to talk to your children about fruit! You can discuss the various layers of the pomegranate fruit. From the skin, the aril, and the albedo, the pomegranate is a really interesting fruit! Read more about the pomegranate here.
1. Slice your pomegranate into 8 slices. Do this on your parchment paper. Try to avoid slicing through your parchment paper. Keep the slices as intact as possible. Put any runaway seeds back into the slice. The more the pomegranate slice is intact, the better it will look.
2. Place your pomegranate slices on your dehydrator trays, (still on your parchment paper) and dehydrate for 6-8 hours on a temperature of 155 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a cookie sheet (and parchment paper) and oven on the lowest setting too. Monitor the slices. They will be hard when they are finished. DO NOT REMOVE FROM THE PARCHMENT PAPER when done.
3. Keep the slices on the parchment paper when finished. Pour Mod Podge over each slice, covering them completely. Sprinkle a very small amount of glitter over each slice. Let the Mod Podge dry. This is where patience is vital! They will take a considerable amount of time to fully dry. Due to the thick layer of Mod Podge necessary to keep the seeds in place it will take about a week to fully dry. Once the Mod Podge is dry, it will be clear.
4. Once the slices are fully dry, remove from the paper and cut around the edges of the slice to remove excess Mod Podge.
5. Poke a hole through the slice to thread your ribbon. Tie the ends of the ribbon and place in a window, on a Christmas tree, on a single branch...wherever your heart desires! Enjoy!
What do you think?